Часовете са според зоната UTC + 2 часа [ DST ]

Напиши нова тема Отговори на тема  [ 10 мнения ] 
Автор Съобщение
МнениеПубликувано на: Чет Ное 13, 2008 1:18 pm 
Insorcist
Insorcist
Аватар

Изображение Изображение
"The Road to the Dark Tower: Exploring Stephen King's Magnum Opus" by Bev Vincent
www.amazon.com (меки корици)
www.amazon.co.uk (меки корици)
www.amazon.com (твърди корици)
www.amazon.co.uk (твърди корици)

How does one determine what the greatest work of an author’s career is? The answer to this query, posed in the final pages of this book, can be found throughout Vincent’s in-depth analysis of King’s seven-volume Dark Tower epic (The Gunslinger, The Drawing of the Three, etc.). Making sense of a story that switches back and forth through time, across multiple universes, and involves the safety of a tower that represents the fate of all existence is no easy task. Kudos to Vincent for even trying. But readers beware—the work is analyzed in its entirety, so expect spoilers galore. Vincent—whose column on Stephen King, "News from the Dead Zone," appears in Cemetery Dance magazine—tracks the evolution of both King’s three-decade avocation (the very first line was written in 1970) and the development of the saga’s characters and plot. Most importantly, Vincent shows how the few members of gunslinger Roland’s fellowship, recruited to help him protect the Tower, slowly evolve from reluctant participation to resolve about their leader’s quest. Former cocaine addict Eddie, for example, puts his sarcasm and skepticism aside and learns to embrace the dream of his surrogate father. As Vincent writes, "If Roland were to die on their journey, Eddie would continue with the others, for having dreamt of the Tower and the field of roses, the compulsion to reach the Tower claims him, too." Vincent also devotes a full chapter to discussing some of King’s other works that are related to the Dark Tower series, such as Hearts in Atlantis and Insomnia. In light of King’s own admission that the Dark Tower epic is the nexus of all his books—"The Dark Tower finishes everything that I really wanted to say"—Vincent asserts, "What else, then, is a magnum opus if not something that both ties together and summarizes a person’s life’s work?" With this thorough analysis of King’s epic, Vincent proves himself a master of the Dark Tower world.

Besides recapping the epic itself, Vincent points out the most germane aspects of other King novels and stories that touch upon it, sketches its leading characters, notes influences on it, and discusses its creation and the layered, self-consciously reflexive concept (King himself is a character in it) that animates it. Appended are chronologies of the saga's writing and publishing and of events in its main setting, Mid-World, and in "Keystone Earth" (i.e., our reality from the 1950s on, but including the saga's characters' doings when, at various times, they enter it), a too-small Mid-World glossary, and the Robert Browning poem that initially inspired King. The large and perdurable King fandom should embrace Vincent's effort and spur him to correct misstatements about the Odyssey and Dante's Commedia, in particular, in the chapter on influences and explain the saga's many pop-cultural references (e.g., the Crimson King) in future editions.

Изображение Изображение
"Stephen King's the Dark Tower, A Concordance, Volume I" by Robin Furth

Published in anticipation of The Dark Tower V: Wolves of the Calla, A Concordance, Volume I is the definitive guide to the first four books in Stephen King's bestselling epic fantasy series, The Dark Tower. With the hundreds of characters, Mid-World geography, and the High Speech lexicon, this comprehensive handbook is one no Dark Tower fan will want to be without. It is the perfect way in for readers new to the series, or the perfect way back in for longtime fans who read the first four books years ago.

Изображение Изображение
"Stephen King's the Dark Tower, A Concordance, Volume II" by Robin Furth

A Concordance, Volume II is the definitive guide to the many worlds, argots, characters, and cross-references -- within the Dark Tower series and among the rest of King's work -- that appear in Books V through VII: Wolves of the Calla, Song of Susannah, and The Dark Tower.

Изображение
"Stephen King's The Dark Tower: The Complete Concordance" by Robin Furth

Изданието обединява първи и втори том в една книга.

The Dark Tower is the backbone of Stephen King's legendary career. Begun more than thirty years ago, seven books and more than three thousand pages make up this bestselling, epic fantasy series. Previously published in two separate volumes, The Complete Concordance is the definitive encyclopedic reference book that provides readers with everything they need to navigate their way through the series. With hundreds of characters, Mid-World geography, High Speech lexicon, and extensive cross-references, this comprehensive handbook is essential for any Dark Tower fan.

* Characters and Genealogies
* Magical Objects and Forces
* Mid-World and Our World Places
* Portals and Magical Places
* Mid-, End-, and Our World Maps
* Timeline for the Dark Tower Series
* Mid-World Dialects
* Mid-World Rhymes, Songs, and Prayers
* Political and Cultural References
* References to Stephen King's Other Work

Изображение
"Stephen King's The Dark Tower: The Complete Concordance" by Robin Furth
www.cemeterydance.com

Специално издание с твърди корици, дебело цели 864 стр. (изданието с меки корици е 640 стр.)

Compiled by Robin Furth in her role as Stephen King's personal Dark Tower research assistant, this volume is the complete and definitive guide to Stephen King's bestselling epic fantasy series, The Dark Tower. The Complete Concordance is the definitive, encyclopedic reference book that provides readers with everything they need to navigate their way through the series. With hundreds of characters, Mid-World geography, High Speech lexicon, and extensive cross-references, this comprehensive handbook is essential for any Dark Tower fan. It is the perfect way in for readers new to the series, or the perfect way back in for longtime fans who read all of the books (and associated works) as they were published.

This complete edition includes:
• Foreword by Stephen King
• Characters and Genealogies
• Mid-World and Our World Places
• High Speech, Low Speech, and Mid-World Argot
• Political and Cultural References
• The History of Roland's Ka-tet
• Portals and Magical Places
• Mid-World Miscellany
• The Dark Tower and the Quest
• Magical Objects and Forces
• Mid-World and Our World Places
• Mid-, End-, and Our World Maps
• Timeline for the Dark Tower Series
• Mid-World Dialects
• Mid-World Rhymes, Songs, and Prayers
• Political and Cultural References
• References to Stephen King's Other Work

From Stephen King's Foreword:
"Her Concordance was never meant to be published; it was created solely as a writer's tool. But, even with most of my mind preoccupied by the writing of my tale, I was aware of how good it was, how interesting and readable it was. I also became aware, as time passed and the actual publication of the final three volumes grew closer, of how valuable it might be to the Constant Reader... In any case, it was Robin Furth who inventoried the goods I had on sale, and replaced all the dim overhead lights so I could see everything clearly and find my way from Housewares to Appliances without getting lost...or from Gilead to Calla Bryn Sturgis, if you prefer. That in no way makes her responsible for my errors—of which I'm sure there are many—but it is important that she receive credit for all the good work she has done on my behalf. I found this overview of In-World, Mid-World, and End-World both entertaining and invaluable. So, I am convinced, will you."

From Robin Furth's Introduction:
"For over two years I have lived in Roland's world—occasionally surfacing in ours—and during that time I've collected much of the myth, history, and folklore of Mid-World. Just as, when you wake up from a dream, you try to capture what you saw during your night travels, the book that follows is my attempt to capture my journey with Roland. My goal, when I started, was to make a doorway between worlds. I hope that I have, at least, made a small window."

Върнете се в началото
 Профил  

МнениеПубликувано на: Чет Дек 10, 2009 1:35 pm 
Dinh
Dinh

Някой чел ли е нещо?

Върнете се в началото
 Профил  

МнениеПубликувано на: Чет Дек 10, 2009 5:47 pm 
Guardian Of The Beams
Guardian Of The Beams

Аз имам двете части на Dark Tower Concordance. Не съм чел много. Но има какво да се научи (припомни) оттам. Мога да ти ги покажа (и дам, ако ти е интересно) като се засечем в Сливен... тоест около Коледа.

Върнете се в началото
 Профил  

МнениеПубликувано на: Чет Дек 10, 2009 9:09 pm 
Dinh
Dinh

Ооо супер! Имаме сделка :shades:

Върнете се в началото
 Профил  

МнениеПубликувано на: Пет Дек 11, 2009 2:04 am 
Dinh
Dinh
Аватар

Аз имам това:
Изображение
Не е само за ТК, но обхваща всичко свързано с нея, както и всички други измислени от Кинг градчета, местности, и светове. Много полезно четиво. Обикновено, като прочета някой роман или разказ и прочитам и това, което пише за него в тази книга! Доста е интересно!

Върнете се в началото
 Профил  

МнениеПубликувано на: Вто Ное 13, 2012 4:16 am 
Insorcist
Insorcist
Аватар

Изображение
"The Dark Tower Companion" by Bev Vincent
http://www.bevvincent.com/2012/11/annou ... r-companio
www.amazon.com [Paperback]
www.amazon.com [Kindle]

The Dark Tower Companion is the ultimate compendium to King’s evolving magnum opus, presenting the mythology, history, and geography of this epic fantasy that has captivated generations of readers. Featuring interviews with Stephen King, Ron Howard, Dark Tower expert Robin Furth and others, Bev Vincent reveals The Dark Tower’s influential literary origins, examines its connections to the vast majority of King’s other novels, explores the expanded universe, catalogs the major characters, locations and concepts, and includes a travel guide to the story’s real-world locations, giving fans who have followed Roland’s journey—or those who are discovering it for the first time—a fascinating overview of the series and an inside look at the creative process of one of the world’s most popular authors.

Върнете се в началото
 Профил  

МнениеПубликувано на: Пон Фев 25, 2013 10:26 am 
Insorcist
Insorcist
Аватар

Изображение Изображение Изображение
"Stephen King's The Dark Tower: The Complete Concordance, Revised and Updated" by Robin Furth
www.amazon.com
www.amazon.com (kindle)

Fully revised and updated to reflect the 2012 release of the new Dark Tower novel, The Wind Through the Keyhole, The Complete Concordance is an entertaining and incredibly useful guide to Stephen King’s epic Dark Tower series.

Begun more than thirty years ago, The Dark Tower is the backbone of Stephen King's legendary career. Seven books and more than 3,000 pages make up this bestselling, epic fantasy series. Previously published in two separate volumes, The Complete Concordance is the definitive encyclopedic reference book that provides readers with everything they need to navigate their way through the series. With hundreds of characters, Mid-World geography, High Speech lexicon, and extensive cross-references, this comprehensive handbook is essential for any Dark Tower fan.

This updated volume is an invaluable guide to all of Mid-World and one of Stephen King’s most significant literary achievements.

The Dark Tower series is the backbone of Stephen King's legendary career. Eight books and more than three thousand pages make up this bestselling fantasy epic. This revised and updated concordance, incorporating the 2012 Dark Tower novel The Wind Through the Keyhole, is the definitive encyclopedic reference book that provides readers with everything they need to navigate their way through the series. With hundreds of characters, Mid-World geography, High Speech lexicon, and extensive cross-references, this comprehensive handbook is essential for any Dark Tower fan.

Includes:

Characters and Genealogies
Magical Objects and Forces
Mid-World and Our World Places
Portals and Magical Places
Mid-, End-, and Our World Maps
Timeline for the Dark Tower Series
Mid-World Dialects
Mid-World Rhymes, Songs, and Prayers
Political and Cultural References
References to Stephen King’s Own Work

Даунлоуд

или щракнете емотиконите ИзображениеИзображение

Върнете се в началото
 Профил  

МнениеПубликувано на: Пет Апр 12, 2013 11:12 am 
Insorcist
Insorcist
Аватар

Изображение
"The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly: 8 Secondary Characters from The Dark Tower Series" by Bev Vincent
www.cemeterydance.com
www.cemeterydance.com (ebook)
www.amazon.com (ebook)

Meet eight secondary characters from The Dark Tower series who didn't make it into Bev Vincent's acclaimed The Road to the Dark Tower, the world's most in-depth look into Stephen King's epic series! (This is a supplemental update to Bev's book and does not contain the complete text of The Road to the Dark Tower.)

From Bev Vincent's introduction:
"My contract with NAL (New American Library) for The Road to the Dark Tower stipulated that I would deliver to them a 70,000-word manuscript. Ron Martirano, my editor, said I could probably go as high as 80,000, but my publisher wanted to keep the book from appearing too thick and daunting on the shelf.
Early on, I had an idea I was going to have a hard time keeping it under 100,000 words. What I ultimately submitted ran slightly over 130,000 words, including footnotes and appendices. I fully expected to be told I'd have to cut some — or a lot — of material, a process I did not relish.
Fortunately, my editor is as big a fan of the Dark Tower series as I am and he made no mention of the fact that I'd delivered nearly double what my contract specified, concentrating instead on the content.
However, I had already removed some material before I submitted the manuscript. The Dramatis Personae chapter was by far the longest in the book and my first draft featured not only the principle characters but subsidiary characters who either made repeat appearances throughout the series or who I considered pivotal for other reasons.
Rather than reduce the space devoted to the major characters, I decided, after much soul-searching and regret, to delete some of the lesser players. Now, thanks to Cemetery Dance, I have the opportunity to reintroduce readers to eight characters worthy of scrutiny.
Here, then, are the good, the bad, and the ugly."

Върнете се в началото
 Профил  

МнениеПубликувано на: Вто Май 21, 2013 9:34 am 
Insorcist
Insorcist
Аватар

Изображение
"The Road to the Dark Tower: Exploring Stephen King's Magnum Opus" by Bev Vincent

How does one determine what the greatest work of an author’s career is? The answer to this query, posed in the final pages of this book, can be found throughout Vincent’s in-depth analysis of King’s seven-volume Dark Tower epic (The Gunslinger, The Drawing of the Three, etc.). Making sense of a story that switches back and forth through time, across multiple universes, and involves the safety of a tower that represents the fate of all existence is no easy task. Kudos to Vincent for even trying. But readers beware—the work is analyzed in its entirety, so expect spoilers galore. Vincent—whose column on Stephen King, "News from the Dead Zone," appears in Cemetery Dance magazine—tracks the evolution of both King’s three-decade avocation (the very first line was written in 1970) and the development of the saga’s characters and plot. Most importantly, Vincent shows how the few members of gunslinger Roland’s fellowship, recruited to help him protect the Tower, slowly evolve from reluctant participation to resolve about their leader’s quest. Former cocaine addict Eddie, for example, puts his sarcasm and skepticism aside and learns to embrace the dream of his surrogate father. As Vincent writes, "If Roland were to die on their journey, Eddie would continue with the others, for having dreamt of the Tower and the field of roses, the compulsion to reach the Tower claims him, too." Vincent also devotes a full chapter to discussing some of King’s other works that are related to the Dark Tower series, such as Hearts in Atlantis and Insomnia. In light of King’s own admission that the Dark Tower epic is the nexus of all his books—"The Dark Tower finishes everything that I really wanted to say"—Vincent asserts, "What else, then, is a magnum opus if not something that both ties together and summarizes a person’s life’s work?" With this thorough analysis of King’s epic, Vincent proves himself a master of the Dark Tower world.

Besides recapping the epic itself, Vincent points out the most germane aspects of other King novels and stories that touch upon it, sketches its leading characters, notes influences on it, and discusses its creation and the layered, self-consciously reflexive concept (King himself is a character in it) that animates it. Appended are chronologies of the saga's writing and publishing and of events in its main setting, Mid-World, and in "Keystone Earth" (i.e., our reality from the 1950s on, but including the saga's characters' doings when, at various times, they enter it), a too-small Mid-World glossary, and the Robert Browning poem that initially inspired King. The large and perdurable King fandom should embrace Vincent's effort and spur him to correct misstatements about the Odyssey and Dante's Commedia, in particular, in the chapter on influences and explain the saga's many pop-cultural references (e.g., the Crimson King) in future editions.

Изображение
"The Dark Tower Companion" by Bev Vincent
http://www.bevvincent.com/2012/11/annou ... r-companio
www.amazon.com [Paperback]
www.amazon.com [Kindle]

The Dark Tower Companion is the ultimate compendium to King’s evolving magnum opus, presenting the mythology, history, and geography of this epic fantasy that has captivated generations of readers. Featuring interviews with Stephen King, Ron Howard, Dark Tower expert Robin Furth and others, Bev Vincent reveals The Dark Tower’s influential literary origins, examines its connections to the vast majority of King’s other novels, explores the expanded universe, catalogs the major characters, locations and concepts, and includes a travel guide to the story’s real-world locations, giving fans who have followed Roland’s journey—or those who are discovering it for the first time—a fascinating overview of the series and an inside look at the creative process of one of the world’s most popular authors.

За да ги свалите, щракнете емотикона Изображение

Върнете се в началото
 Профил  

МнениеПубликувано на: Съб Авг 09, 2014 3:36 am 
Insorcist
Insorcist
Аватар

Изображение
"Inside the Dark Tower Series: Art, Evil and Intertextuality in the Stephen King Novels" by Patrick McAleer
www.amazon.com

Stephen King is no stranger to the realm of literary criticism, but his most fantastic, far-reaching work has aroused little academic scrutiny. This study of King's epic Dark Tower series encompasses the career of one of the world's best-selling authors and frames him as more than a "horror writer." Four categories of analysis--genre, art, evil, and intertextuality--provide a focused look at the center of King's fictional universe. This book reaches beyond popular culture treatments of the series and examines it against King's horror work, audience expectations, and the larger literary landscape.

Щракнете Изображение

Върнете се в началото
 Профил  

Покажи мненията от миналия:  Сортирай по  
Напиши нова тема Отговори на тема  [ 10 мнения ] 

Часовете са според зоната UTC + 2 часа [ DST ]