deadface
Insorcist
Insorcist
Регистриран: вт юни 13, 2006 10:03 pm

Sarah Pinborough / Сара Пинбъра

Мнение от deadface » вт фев 22, 2011 4:01 am

Изображение
Sarah Pinborough

Sarah Pinborough is an English-born horror writer whose books have found success in the United States. Her works have previously been compared to that of Bentley Little, Richard Laymon and Dean Koontz.

Изображение
"Torchwood: Into The Silence" by Sarah Pinborough
www.amazon.com

The body in the church hall is very definitely dead. It has been sliced open with surgical precision, its organs exposed, and its vocal cords are gone. It is as if they were never there or they've been dissolved... With the Welsh amateur Operatic Contest getting under way, music is filling the churches and concert halls of Cardiff. The competition has attracted the finest Welsh talent to the city, but it has also drawn something else - there are stories of a metallic creature hiding in the shadows. Torchwood are on its tail, but it's moving too fast for them to track it down. This new threat requires a new tactic - so Ianto Jones is joining a male voice choir... Featuring Captain Jack Harkness as played by John Barrowman, with Gwen Cooper and Ianto Jones as played by Eve Myles and Gareth David-Lloyd, in the hit series created by Russell T Davies for BBC Television.

Sarah Pinborough is the author of five horror novels, two of which have been short-listed for the British Fantasy Society Award for Best Novel in 2007 and 2008.

Изображение
"Breeding Ground" by Sarah Pinborough
www.amazon.com

Nature takes a bizarre turn in this horror thriller. Seen from the eyes of a mortgage agent we watch as his girlfriend starts gaining weight during a pregnancy at an amazing rate even after she stops eating. A local doctor claims everything is normal and she just needs vitamins. But soon we learn that she is not alone. These things are happening to all of the women. They have things growing inside them. Horrible, spider-like things with a taste for people. They are later called widows. Our hero manages to escape his girlfriend only to see the collapse of the world as he knows it.
Now he is out looking for answers and other survivors. He is quickly joined by other survivors. But their foe wants to stop them. Eventually they gain a few more and wind up at a military base safe behind an electrified fence. Here they are able to contact other groups. While the base is well-stocked, the relative safety begins to wear thin. Tensions build while the widows stay on guard outside the base. Over the radio they hear rumors. Rumors of other groups and rumors of other terrors. What has caused this monstrous change? How will they survive?

Изображение
"The Reckoning" by Sarah Pinborough
www.amazon.com

Fifteen-year-old Chloe Saunders and her friends Tori, Simon, and Derek are genetically altered supernaturals on the run from the evil corporation that created them. Hiding out with a family friend, they are trying to make sense of their predicament and discover what sinister plans the Edison Group has in store for them. As a powerful necromancer who can raise the dead in her sleep, Chloe struggles to control her abilities and figure out how to best use them to keep everyone safe. To further complicate matters (as if running for your life were not enough), Chloe wrestles with her feelings for Simon, a good-natured sorcerer, and Derek, a misunderstood werewolf.

Изображение
"The Taken" by Sarah Pinborough
www.amazon.com

Pinborough delivers genuine chills in this effective tale of ghostly revenge. Thirty years ago, in the rural town of Watterrow, England, a beautiful, curly-haired 10-year-old named Melanie Parr suffered a fatal accident. Having used her angelic looks to hide a cruel, sociopathic personality, the girl delighted in tormenting her playmates, whose mothers decided to do something about it. Unfortunately for them, that "something" proved deadly. Even more unfortunate, Melanie's come back for revenge, three decades later, thanks to "The Catcher Man," a benign entity that holds children in a state between life and death. Pinborough populates Watterrow with well-defined, sympathetic characters whose reactions, in the face of the unbelievable, ring remarkably true; the struggle of her reluctant heroine, Alex, is thoughtfully balanced between otherworldly horror and the ravages of terminal cancer. Wisely, Pinborough (Breeding Ground) opts to build suspense subtly, rather than bludgeon readers with horrific imagery or buckets of gore, giving this nicely executed, surprisingly moving ghost story an old-fashioned feel in the best possible sense.

За да ги свалите, щракнете върху емотикона Изображение
Изображение

Потребителски аватар
deadface
Insorcist
Insorcist

Re: Sarah Pinborough / Сара Пинбъра

Мнение от deadface » ср апр 13, 2016 4:31 am

Изображение
"Езикът на умирането" от Сара Пинбъра
https://www.helikon.bg/books/76/-%D0%95 ... 99933.html
Това е една от онези нощи. Специална, ужасна нощ.
Тя седи до леглото на баща си, гледайки как часовникът отмерва последните часове от живота му. Нейните братя и сестри - всички прекършени, с крехки отношения - бяха там през последната седмица, но сега тя е сама.
А той винаги идва точно тогава.
Часовникът тик-така, тъмнината привиква. Ако изобщо идва.
Shirley Jackson Award Nominee for Novella (Finalist) (2009)
British Fantasy Award for Best Novella (2010)

Доколкото разбрах, това не е стандартна хорър история, въпреки че новелата явно разглежда някои типични за жанра теми и е доста мрачна. Като я прочета, ще пиша повече по въпроса.
Във всеки случай Сара Пинбъра има хубав стил и пише въздействащо, така че си заслужава да прочетете поне една нейна книга.
There is a language to dying. It creeps like a shadow alongside the passing years and the taste of it hides in the corners of our mouths. It finds us whether we are sick or healthy. It is a secret hushed thing that lives in the whisper of the nurses’ skirts as they rustle up and down our stairs. They’ve taught me to face the language one syllable at a time, slowly creating an unwilling meaning.
The creature in the middle of the road staring up at me isn’t one of these scurrying through the night. It stops my breath racing from my lungs as I stare in wonder. It wasn’t there a second before. There was nothing there but tarmac. And now here it is. Inside, the white fire I can’t control cools slightly. Below, on the cold road, its red eyes glow angrily and through the glass I can see hot steam charge from its flared nostrils as it paws the ground. I think perhaps it is blacker than the night, its mane shining as it is tossed this way and that. I am not sure whether it is beautiful or ugly, but I know that it’s wonderful. And I know that it’s waiting for me. One of my hands rises to the cold glass, as if by touching that I can reach the beast below. The lonely emptiness inside me fills up with something warm and thick. This creature and I belong together. I know it and so does he.
Its body is large, like a horse but more solid – without the elegance but with twice the power. I can see thick sinews bunch along its long neck as it raises its head again, glaring at me. A black horn grows twisted from between its eyes, a thick, deformed, calloused thing, a tree root erupting from the earthy ground of its forehead, the matt texture oppositional to the sweaty shine on its dark hide. I stare at it and our souls meet. It is power and anger and beauty and nature rolled into something other-worldly, waging a war with the night on its four thick hooves.
Изображение

bglushkov
Devar-Toi
Devar-Toi
Регистриран: ср юни 11, 2014 2:54 pm

Мнение от bglushkov » ср апр 13, 2016 9:13 am

Торчууд ми сред любимите сериали, не знаех, че тази авторка има нещо общо с проекта. Това от снимката горе книга ли е или просто сценарий?

Потребителски аватар
deadface
Insorcist
Insorcist

Мнение от deadface » ср апр 13, 2016 9:57 am

Роман е, пише си в Амазон (виж линка). Има и още един роман по сериала - Long Time Dead (2011)
Изображение

Отговори